Monday, November 16, 2009

The new house

The new house.... Pictures to follow soon

It's a great looking house. Sure it has its little issues, but I'm not buying the house, just renting and the land-lady agreed to knock-off some rent for the additional work I already intended to do... so, how great is that -NOT.

This house needed so much more then I realized. Even completing the little things I agreed to are more then I realized they would be... things like, filling the gaps around the windows (outside & in) or caulking around the bathtubs or putting in a fence to keep my dogs... Oh my! The fence part was easy, it's the gaps around the windows and doors that scare me.

Here's what I have found so far: Since we have SCORPIONS, yes, the little boogers that sting you with their tail-scorpions, we need to re caulk or seal, any minuscule opening we find whether it be on the floor or ceiling or around an electrical socket or in the bathroom (especially the bathroom) or kitchen or window or... As you can imagine, this is a huge project but so far we're doing good! I have gone through about 4 tubes of caulking with another 3 on stand-by! And, I've had the exterminator out to the house 3 times since we've moved in --respraying for scorpions!

I also agreed to seal up the gaps around the windows outside and inside as well -thinking just a little caulking will go a long way... Wrong! I had to buy "Great Stuff." Its a foam type sealer, then because it drys Yellow, I need to go back around everything with white caulking to make it look pretty again! Ug. Well, as it stands I have the Great Stuff portion done, now I just need to go back around everything with white caulking to cover up the ugly yellow and to finish sealing the smaller cracks... Anyone wanna help???

So we have scorpions -- that's ok because as mentioned, I have an exterminator!! So far he has visited my house 3 times and we've only been here since mid-October!!! But by golly, I'm not loosing this battle!! Those boogers scare the living day-lights out of me! I panic with each sighting... so far I have killed 8, yes 8, but I'm told that's a pretty low number and I have found 4 dead. We have found 3 alive, trying to come in through the window area but luckily my sister and Aunt put up some plastic window insulation stuff and it kept them from getting in -- it also kept me from killing them though. They say you can go through your house at night with a black light and they will glow and from there you can pick them up with tongs or something and destroy them -but I am NOT doing this. So I call the exterminator guy and he talks me down some because after all, he can only spray once every 14 days. Right now I am on a monthly plan until things are better under control, at which point I'll move to a 3 month plan.

Big scare of the day....coming next!

No comments:

Post a Comment