Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The big scare of the day!

Sunday, November 15th, 2009. It's a normal Sunday as any other Sunday might be... we get up, be lazy on the couch, eat some breakfast, get ready for Church, go to Church, come home and for what ever reason today, I decided to try my keys at our side door. With mom moving in today, it would be nice to park on the drive way and go in through that door... Sadly, the keys don't work so Sophie and I walk around to the front door, which is our normal door to use.

We have a pretty big front yard. Our house sits on an acre of land and the house is somewhat in the middle -so there's lots of room! Anyway, walking up to the front door there is a small patch of grass between the house and the side walk, which just so happens to be where Sophie is walking and playing and picking little flowers and walking and OH MY GOSH WHAT IS THAT?????? Scare the bagibbies out of me, yank Sophie's arm practically out of socket and immediately run back to the car and after 5 seconds of being completely and utterly freaked out, I call Uncle Billy to the rescue (who was at home very sick today). He asks "what is it?", "Its, its, its... a SNAKE, a big huge SNAKE," I shout!! [He was huge too. He was about 2" thick and about 2-3 feet long, but I never saw his head.] I was so freaked out that I was starting to hyperventilate -you know on tv you see people do that and the screen kind of goes blackish around the sides and all you can see is through a hole of some sort... Well, it's true, that's what it was like for me. I kept thinking "you can't pass out, it'll eat you!"

So Sophie and I are now back at the car, about 20 feet away and I have Sophie playing on top of the car because there is no way you are getting down kiddo and we patiently wait for Uncle Billy to come fix another problem -again. The whole family shows up -not just Uncle Billy, but Julie, William, Annon, and Cara! They all want to see "the show" because Uncle Billy brought his gun to shoot it! I told him I've been watching that area, making sure it didn't move -- like there was something I could do if it wanted to move!?!?. Anyway, he goes over there, and it's gone! It moved!! "WHAT?!?! I've been watching that whole area and he hasn't moved, how can you not see him, he's huge!" but sadly he did move --- under my house! yes, there is a crack, a pretty good sized crack, that he slipped into. But luckily Uncle Billy knew what he was doing and sealed it up for me... I know what you are thinking, and yes, I know too... it'll just come out in another area -BUT IT WON"T BE HERE!!

Turns out, this was just a Rat Snake. They are pretty harmless, but I didn't know that. They eat rats and field mice and such, actually pretty good to have around the house being that I live next to fields of openness!!

Just an FYI though... this wasn't the first snake we had found at this house, it was just the biggest and it scared the daylights out of me. The first snake we found was in the back yard under a piece of tattered door that had been there awhile. He was a small, only about 12 inches long, tiny little thing, maybe 1/2 grown -- he was a COPPER HEAD and the guys who were helping put in the fence, killed him for me and then buried the head!! Copper heads are the deadly kind and it's best to bury the head so it doesn't accidentally get you and inject what ever venom it still has in its fangs. For what ever reason, this one didn't really scare me...

Mom however, stopped by Home Depot and picked up some Snake Be Gone stuff which I've heard great things about around here... Mouth Balls DO NOT WORK!

Ok, gotta go... that's been my exciting life over the last few weeks. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for updating the blog! Sorry about the snake(s)!!! Yikes! Yeah...I think I'll wait a little longer before coming to visit... :)

    ReplyDelete