Thursday, June 11, 2009

The big scare...

Yeah, it's not what you're thinking... Last night we had some pretty big storms move through our area which seems to be the norm for our area this year, but last night a second wave came through around midnight or so and had me up at about 3am with all the thunder taking place.

Around 3:15am or so the power starts to flicker, which is very unusual for our street, and eventually goes out completely. Like the good mommy I am, I decided to check on Sophie, maybe uncover her some because as we all know, it gets hot with no air or fans! So at about 3:30am I get up to make my way down the hallway when I start hearing the wind whistling which is a little freaky but nothing big, right? Well then the rain starts hitting the bedroom windows which are back under my porch about 4 feet -and generally do not get wet during a storm!

At first it kind of sounded like someone was standing outside with a water hose lightly spraying the windows but then the wind picks up whistling even louder. Now, combined that with loud thunder, bright lightning and even louder wind -- I'm thinking its a Tornado and race down the hall to get Sophie -who by the way is sleep very peacefully. I grab her (scaring the heck out of her) and race for the nearest bathroom, hers.

Almost there, I trip! Yep, fell right on my knees, then to my side, then to my face! Yeah, it hurt!! Sophie was fine, I don't even think she realized we fell! :) Great catch, mom! On the way down I try to correct myself and grad the not-so sturdy shelf, which falls as well -along with all of its contents! So during all this I can still hear the wind whistling, the dogs are roaming all over the house, so I'm thinking its still coming and grab Sophie again, climb over everything that is now on the floor of the bathroom and crawl into the tub -- Have I mention yet that Sophie just happened to be playing with her bath toys earlier that day and forgot to pick them up!! Yea, I know, my butt felt every one!

So anyway, we are laying there, in the dark, and I'm thinking... Oh, God please don't let it sweep the dogs away!, then my thoughts move to... I know I'm bleeding. It hurts and I can't even see what or where it is! But was pretty ok with it because after all, if I am bleeding, at least I'm in the tub!! lol. Funny how you can rationalize things at 3am.

After a few minutes to half hour I decide if nothing has happened yet, nothings going to happen, so we crawl out of the bath tub, over the towels, magazines and whatever else happens to now be on the floor of the bathroom and make our way to my room for the night. Sophie is now fully awake and ready to talk or play or eat or needs a drink or... Around 4:30ish, I decide to check the news because I can still here the thunder quick well but by this point the news people have moved all coverage to the Dallas area and nothing more about Fort Worth! Ug. Finally get back to sleep around 5am!! Did I also mention that my alarm goes off at 5:30!!! Yea, sleepy today!!

This morning, after inspecting my very sore body and discovering only minor cuts and a few big bruises, I decide to look outside to see all the damage I know has happened and find only that my trash can lid had been blown opened and a screen was off!! Yeah, after all that!! Ug.

May today be an easy day!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment